The energy sizzled at Penny's Open Mic tonight. We all felt it. We were over excited. I hadn't been there in over a month and I was thrilled to be back home. There comes a responsibility with art. Artistic pursuit requires nurturing or you lose it. It's like being given a baby and not feeding it. Eventually child services shows up and says you're unfit. When I don't perform for more than a few weeks I feel unfit. Tonight I refitted myself.
Mike Milazzo, the brilliant musician, surveyed the audience of packed in sardines. Mike had grown a very distinguished go-tee. It suited him in a big way and I told him so. I'm so damn direct with people. It startles them. For Mike I think it startled him in a good way. He responded by telling me he'd read my blog right before leaving the house. Like it's on his "to-do" list. I like that. I like Mike Milazzo reading my blog.
The audience was ravenous for the show to start. Mike said, "How many of you have never been here before?" Half of the room hooted and howled. I looked at Penny and she was stunned. I could see her mind clicking, wondering where all of these people came from. A young woman filled with so much love for art. A patriot for the truth in all of us. An equalizer of people. She is the heart of this scene. She is a magnet of the unknown and she makes the outside seem familiar. The people who walk alone find her show and become a part of a rare and very fine fabric. A scarf that winds us all together and leaves us with a tremendous respect for each other and the deep desire to howl each others names in celebration. Penny is counted on and thrives from the people who come to her show. She has yet to know her impact on this city. I hope I am lucky enough to still know her when she realizes what she's done.
After the newbies hooted you could feel the palpable need from the oldsters to be recognized. I said, "Now ask us how many of us have been here before!" . Mike complied and was responded to with an equally enthusiastic blare that made him smile.
I have been around for a long time, yet I am newly woven into this show and these people and serve as a special cog in the mechanics. They love my work. Truly. I know this. But the beauty of this is they expect only my very best work. They expect it because I expect it. I hold an artistic standard for myself and they support this, without even saying it. I am only happy performing when I am rehearsed and prepared. That way I can truly let go and bring the audience into my world. My process. I can get intimate with them and make them laugh from their gut. The people in this room know this about me without saying it and as a result...won't let me get away with anything less than true.
After many years of performing in clubs around town, I am surprised I have found touchstones in this room. Joe Yoga is one. Each time I perform he comes straight to me back stage and gives me a delicious hug and kiss. He doesn't know this, but it's my button. He seals the deal in a very simple way for me that makes me feel like someone handed me a cup of hot chocolate after standing at the freezing Thanksgiving Day Parade for 4 hours. That's gold to me. When you come to this show look for him. You'll see what I mean.You'll want him as a touchstone too.
There's also Penny. Now Penny hosts all night and is very busy, but we always manage to touch base about my piece. She tells me she's inspired or amazed and then I tell her I'm inspired and amazed by her. No bullshit. We actually really mean it. We say many of the same words every time, but they are unique to us and we cherish knowing each other and respecting each others art. If I don't connect with Penny during the show..well it's like leaving a partially unwrapped present under the tree.
This last week I had he pleasure to see some of what Penny has been working on. This:
BROKEN DOG LEGS
A Horsetrade and Muse Collective Production
UNDER St. Marks Theater
94 St. Marks Place
btwn First and Ave A
January 23,24 & 30,31 at 8 PM
$12 Tickets, Discount with password 'Lompyville'
I paste this here because you must run out and support Penny is this. It's an important piece and her work is extraordinary. I'm going Saturday the 24th. Be there.
This week my favorite touchstone is my sister, Becky Lally. She is a visual mastermind who has taken her fine arts talent and transfered it into film. Se makes films like paintings and is a deeply hilarious human. She and I perform as a sister rock band together. She plays the mandaline and write hilarious lyrics. Her voice is great and having her anywhere near me lifts me to a place I wish I could sell tickets to.
So shadows. his was the theme of Penny's open mic this last week. There's always a theme which serves as a great inspiration to the performers. Another incredibly important performance happened this magical evening. It was Ceili Clemens Shadow Songs. Let me say this. If you are ever sitting home watching TV on a Tuesday night you may as well confess to letting life pass you by...willingly. When I saw this piece I wanted to run into the streets and tell everyone who was sitting in a bar, or buying gum, or waiting for the bus to run inside and watch this magic shadow show. Carved our paper people with flashlights shining their silhouettes on the screen to apropos music gently gliding their darkness through us. Joe and Mike were brilliant to hear and watch as they crafted along with the elegant puppet dance of three women. Selflessly serving a story. Not knowing how their well rehearsed and very visible work made a statement of all the effort it takes to make art. How beautiful the effort is, almost even without the art itself.
I rushed backstage and told Ceili that this should open every film festival in the country. She was stunned.It's so hard to see when your art belongs when it's shooting through your arteries like caffeine and keeps you up all night. If anything, I want to make those connections for people. I have the luxury of being able to create AND see where it belongs. Let me please lead those brilliant artists who wander the subways platforms and NYC streets merely as the puppeteer...let me deliver the shadows to the people who need them the most.
Obama will be President on Tuesday. I will be at Penny's on Tuesday. If you want to be a part of history...meet me there.
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
#24-SHADOWS
Labels:
dogs,
joe yoga,
mike millazo,
penny pollak,
shadows. Obama
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
such insightful blogs. you're truly an inspiration and your love for the art is so uplifting. keep writing - i can't wait to see where it goes!
Post a Comment