Tuesday, May 6, 2008

#2-THE BIZ OF THE BIZ...

If I were to run my own acting school every student would leave knowing how to produce a play and a film. Since my college graduation when most of my formal acting training was completed, I have spoken to many actors who went to school but haven't done any real acting-or rather anything they're proud of in years!

Acting schools can handicap actors. That's right. I said it. I went to many many acting schools over 12 years and I have to say that besides basic technique I was given no real practical tools to help me survive as an artist. Granted, success as an actors has everything to do with skill and talent, but it also requires business sense. Sure...it's great a can create an entire room with just my imagination and cry on cue.... but what happens when I'm not in a show? What is I don't get the part? How do I keep acting when I don't have a job?

The answer is MAKE YOUR OWN WORK HAPPEN! Yes. That's right. YOU do it. This may seem daunting to those of you who have no idea what to do with a hammer, but I'll tell you how I did it and how it has helped my acting career ten fold.

No comments: