My life requires me to sleep more. It's terribly square and restricting. I can remember a similar feeling when I was too young to go out and do what grown up kids do. The difference now is the thing I wish I could do every night is perform. I want to roam the Lower East Side with my band of pulsing artists. I want to sit in awe at their work and then step up to the plate myself and perform as a gift...every..single..night....'til like 4am.
Tonight, it's Halloween in NYC. The tamest I've seen. We has 3 kids come to the door...all at once. Pathetic. Don't kids eat candy anymore??? What has this city come to? Pre-fab costumes for $50 and stop by New York Sports Club for a prune stapled to a free day pass. Happy Halloween!
When I was a kid my sisters and I thought about Halloween as soon as school started. Our mother always made our costumes and as we grew older we helped. So elaborate. All hand sewn. Just as her mother did for her. An important tradition. I can remember being so grateful and feeling how deeply my mother loved me when she stayed up sewing each night. Do kids feel that way when their mom's take them to the Halloween Store and buy them a Barney suit? It's weird...the 3 kids who showed up were so little. Adorable. But they were disillusioned. As if they woke up from a nap dressed as a dinosaur and suddenly had to knock on strangers doors. They were emotionally unprepared.My sisters and I were prepared enough to run our own Halloween parade if necessary.
Last night my show went up. It moved me deeply. I got to bring so many of these inspirational artists under my roof to expose them to a whole new audience. Penny Pollak, Alabaster Rhumb, The Bitter Poet, Melinda Hansen, Mr. Patrick, Goeff Kole, Liam McEneaney are just some of them. Look them up. Be reborn.
There are 3 shows tonight at Under St. Marks Theatre. Penny is doing a show at 12am she wanted me to do. The theme is "monologues before murder". Need I say more? Brilliant. Disarming. Provocative. I'm dying to go. But here i am in bed. Being a good doobie. I am texting Joe Yoga for regular updates so I can live vicariously through him. He's hard core. Cant NOT go for fear of missing something. I know how he feels.
Friday, October 31, 2008
#19- EVENING BECKONS ME...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
hard core am I? hm...
Post a Comment